Search This Blog

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Mockingjay & the Trilogy, by Suzanne Collins

If you have not read Mockingjay, please cut the two-page epilogue from the book and burn it before reading. This Happy Ending Device trivializes all three of the books that have gone before and insults the intelligence of the reader. I can't believe Collins fell victim to the same Happy Ending pressures that felled J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series. And they all lived happily ever after...after unspeakable trauma, the epilogues of both series are crushingly bad. I have removed these pages from my copy of Mockingjay.

YouTube has many videos of Suzanne Collins, including this one of her reading the first chapter of Mockingjay:  http://youtu.be/1MY6yEt6aZs

I finished Mockingjay a few days ago and I feel confused--as confused as our hero Katniss feels most of the time. The amount of death and violence in this book makes Hunger Games and Catching Fire seem mild. Yet, I kept reading and felt compelled to do so. I am disturbed that I liked such violent books so much. And I am disturbed with the duality of Katniss's role. She flips like a coin in the air from ingenue beauty queen sweetheart to hard-bodied killing machine soldier.

Where is Katniss herself in this pink/black dichotomy? That's the question that kept me going. How would Katniss survive this role whiplash? I have felt this so many times (especially in adolescence)--that the choices presenting themselves don't fit me at all and yet I am forced to choose one. As I discussed in my blog on Catching Fire, it is the fact that these books are psychology evocative that makes them so good. I have many times felt the hate and blackness and helplessness and coercion. The images that I have searched for to represent these feelings have been violent and black. (I wrote a poem titled "Birth of the Baby of Death"!)

A scruffy tiger cat helps humanize this book.
I could write a complete essay on the cat's
role in the story.
Mockingjay finishes out Collins's trilogy. Katniss is still on her feet, physically safe, but filled with guilt, horror, and anger. She is turned into a public relations device for the districts' uprising against the Capitol, a pawn who once again is manipulated into unthinkable relationships with unspeakable horror. And the reader shares the impact of all of this with Katniss. She struggles to maintain her humanity in the face of her own participation in every level of coercion and violence. I won't go into detail about the plot...it's a war story.

I loved Katniss. I wanted to help her. I wanted to see her survive somehow, some way, somewhere. My engagement with her was one of the key factors in keeping me reading through to the end. Her fate became entwined with mine--if she could find a way to keep going, I guess I can. When I imagine what I would have thought of these books if I had read them 35 years ago, I see my teenage self clinging to these books, keeping them by my bed, valuing their reflection of my inner turmoil.

And truly, if you want to step way, way back and get all metaphysical, these books can be viewed as a hero journey for the adolescent. Adolescence can be seen as a lengthy battle for identity, autonomy, value, perspective, and wisdom. Adolescence is a fight like Katniss fights.

And, of course, these battles never really end as I grow into middle age, but I have more tools and strategies now, and nothing inside me is as serious as it was then. The important things are outside me now. And Katniss finds out what we all sort of find out (or should)--that sometimes evil is not punished, sometimes wrongs are unrighted, and many questions go unanswered. Loving anyway is what comes out of the struggle. Loving yourself anyway, loving another person, loving life anyway. Emerge from the flames and ashes still able to love.

The Hunger Games trilogy is impressive and strong. Even with all the violence and torment, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend these books. They have some strong truth in them.

Much useful information at this site, including summaries, character lists, study guides, and other resources on this trilogy:  http://www.gradesaver.com/author/suzanne-collins/



No comments:

Post a Comment